Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A New Adventure

So, I know it's been awhile since my last blog.  I'm just so bad at keeping up with this every week like Randy does.  We've been staying busy lately.  After my last entry, work became really, really tough and I think the lesson I mentioned before was, and is, still in progress.  I found myself shedding more tears on my way home from work after certain really hard nights than I had in a long long time.   It's always so hard when time after time you go to work only to have really tough nights again and again.  It kind of wears you down physically and emotionally.  Anyway, I've really been praying about it and it has gotten easier.  I've had several good nights lately and feel a little less out of place here.  We've been skiing a few times and had several really fun dance lessons.  We also went indoor ski diving!  Now that was fun!  I didn't know if I'd like it or not, but flying around in that enclosed room with the air rushing under and around you was an experience I've never had before!  We got it all on video so we'll be able to laugh at ourselves again later.  Just yesterday, we tried another new experience - rock wall climbing!  Now, those who know me and Randy can totally imagine Randy strapping on a harness and scaling up that wall like Spiderman with no problem.  I, on the other hand, have always thought that if we were intended on climbing up the sheer side of a wall (or rock face) then God would either have given us sticky suction pads on our hands and feet like the tree frog, or He would not have bothered with creating gravity.  Well, can you believe it?  I actually climbed that 40 foot wall!!  Maybe, just maybe, I'm learning that God didn't give us those suction cups so that we could face the challenge and experience a feeling that we don't normally have day to day.  It was definitely a new sensation to be up 40 feet on the side of a wall clinging to oddly shaped hand holds while trusting the rope fastened to my harness and the man down at the bottom holding that rope, not to let me fall.  But you know, the sense of accomplishment when I reached the very top and looked waaay down at Randy, who was smiling and cheering me on, was awesome.  I never thought I'd ever do something like that.  I'm finding, though, that I say that about a lot of things we've done and I keep surprising myself.  I believe God really is using all these experiences and challenges (the many, many challenges) in the process of molding me and showing me some things about myself.  He's definitely using Randy in that process because I know I probably would never try some of the things we've done if it wasn't for his adventurous spirit.  I get upset with him at times, because I do feel scared and unsure sometimes - well, really most of the time - but he's patient with me and encourages me to live life.  Thank you, God, for Randy and for leaving off the suction cups. 

2 comments:

Jo Anne said...

I, too, am glad you didn't have suction cups, but for different reasons than you. Although I think your reason is a much better one as I had not thought of it that way...that God allows us to have unusual experiences to give us fresh perspectives on life. We all need some new perspectives from time to time. I am glad for Randy helping you out of your comfort zone occasionally. He has made you so much more adventurous than you would have been without him. (After all, learning to ride a bicycle was an adventure for you..."WATCH OUT FOR THE CHRYSANTHEMUMS!!") I am very proud of all you are accomplishing!
HOWEVER, I was NOT pleased to see you on the mountain skiing without you red tobaggan on...and a white coat at that. What were you thinking? Just kidding...not really. I love you and take good care of yourself.
Mama

Yvonne said...

So glad you are blogging again. Just kidding, I know you are busy, but I do enjoy reading about your adventures. Im so proud that you are spreading your wings and experiencing so much of this big beautiful world we call home. Just be very carefull and keep yourself and my son safe. I don't worry as much knowing you are there to take care of him, cause you know he gets kind of wild at times. Lots of Love, still praying for you!